Nawamin & Mim's Papaya Salad Recipe
Som Tum (Thai Papaya Salad Recipe) from Nawamin Boss & Mim from Simply Thai Restaurant in Buxton
Buy the ingredients to make Nawamin Boss & Mim's Som Tum Recipe (Thai Green Papaya Salad Recipe)
Mim is cooking along with @nawaminboss on IGTV this Saturday the 29th of August at midday- the video will feature below once released.
You can buy some of the specialist Thai ingredients from us below.
Serves 2 - 4 as part of a shared Thai meal
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 Thai chillies
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fermented fish (Pla Ra)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 - 2 lime
- 1 - 2 small tomatoes
- 2 long-beans
- 1 big handful of green papaya
- After washing the green papaya, peel off the skin. Hack at the papaya with your knife until there are numerous vertical cuts, then shave off the top layer into thin slivers, and repeat.
- Add 2 cloves of peeled garlic and 5 chillies to the mortar. Pound them for a few seconds.
- Add palm sugar, fish sauce and the Pla Ra, and then squeeze the juice from 1 - 2 limes into the mortar.
- Slice tomatoes and long bean into the mortar and mix them with the dressing.
Toss in a big handful of the green papaya. Mix it all together, doing a combination of using just a spoon and pounding lightly. Serve with Thai sticky rice!
Tip - if you can't get Green Papaya, then you could use Green Mango instead.